Following the completion of a $16 million rooms renovation in late 2012, Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay is proud to debut the highly anticipated final phase of its $20 million transformation. This second project included a full revamp of all public spaces to match the fresh look and feel of the 442 guest rooms and suites, an all-new dining experience at 1823 Kitchen and Bar and an innovative tech lounge within the hotel lobby.
Florida Polytechnic University is now officially open and ready to welcome its Inaugural Class. Florida’s newest state university held a public LAUNCH Celebration on Saturday to commemorate its grand opening and the completion of the iconic Innovation, Science and Technology (IST) Building.
Florida Polytechnic leaders, Governor Rick Scott, and more than 1,000 supporters and new students gathered to experience the state-of-the art University up-close for the first time. A formal ceremony was followed by an actual launch – a vivid pyrotechnics display showered a campus lake adjacent to the IST Building. Click here for photos and more information.
Equality Florida Institute is providing an electronic version of the Legal Handbook for LGBT Floridians and Their Families free of charge on their website. Recently updated, the 76-page resource was a pro bono project of the law firm Carlton Fields Jorden Burt, in cooperation with Equality Florida Institute.
This third edition of the Handbook is full of helpful information and pointers on the very best ways lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) Floridians can legally protect themselves and their families. Because this information is so important to protecting Florida’s families, Equality Florida Institute is making it available for download at www.EQFL.org/LegalHandbook. Click here for more information.
Port Tampa Bay is pleased to announce that one of its major environmental projects, the McKay Bay Restoration project, has been acknowledged as winner in the Mitigation category of the American Association of Port Authority’s (AAPA) Annual Environmental Improvement Awards program. The program recognizes projects that show leadership and exemplary environmental stewardship in and around seaports.
Port Tampa Bay, with assistance from the Southwest Florida Water Management District (SWFWMD), embarked upon and completed a combination of wetland restoration projects within the McKay Bay Ecosystem in Tampa Bay. The net impact of this work has resulted in the restoration of estuarine wetlands and adjacent shallow intertidal bay bottom within this historically impaired water body.
Rock out at Tampa Bay’s highest voltage party of the summer.
Tech Jam 2014: Battle of the Bands
August 28, 2014 • 5:30 – 11:00 pm
The Ritz Ybor 1503 E 7th Ave., Tampa, FL 33605
Don’t miss the 13th annual Tech Jam benefitting TechStart Tampa Bay! Rock out at our largest event of the year, while helping us raise funds to prepare at-risk youth in our community to pursue careers in science, technology, engineering, and math.
Join over 400 techies, business professionals, and executives at Tech Jam for great food, themed cocktails, 50/50, silent auction, unlimited networking, a Battle of the Bands competition, and much more!
Register today for this rockin’ event and help us celebrate 13 fantastic years of raising money for the next generation of technology leaders in our community.
Would you like to take the stage and compete to be Tampa’s most rockin’ band? Visit our Battle of the Bands page to enter!
Party for a purpose and help us raise money to support TechStart’s amazing programs!
The Eye Ball brings together ophthalmic specialists and surgeons, business and community leaders, and loyal friends to foster the sight-saving and life-enhancing work of the Lions Eye Institute for Transplant & Research.
Join us for an inspiring evening that will savor your senses and stir your soul.
Other exciting features:
- Gourmet dining by Puff n’ Stuff, one of Tampa’s mostwell-known caterers
- Entertaining evening with gaming and dancing, featuring
- local Cuban band
- One of a kind treasures in the Live and Silent Auctions
- Inspiring stories that celebrate the Gift of Sight
From Aug. 27 to 30, Fifth Third Bank’s Financial Empowerment Mobile – or eBus – will visit community organizations throughout the Tampa Bay area to offer free job search assistance through a partnership with NextJob, a nationwide firm focused on full employment in America. Financial advice, like budget and credit counseling, will also be provided by Fifth Third employees at all eBus stops (full schedule included below).
During each event, visitors can access the Job Seeker’s Toolkit, NextJob’s proprietary job search and training software. Information is free to the public and is provided in English and Spanish.
FOR MORE INFO: Call Curtis Stokes at 813-306-2488.
Wednesday, Aug. 27 | 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. – CDC of Tampa, 1907 E. Hillsborough Ave., Tampa
Thursday, Aug. 28 | 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. – St. Petersburg Neighborhood Home Solutions, 1600 Dr. MLK Jr. St. S., St. Petersburg
Friday, Aug. 29 | 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. – Community Action Center of Hillsborough, 3402 N. 22nd St., Tampa
Saturday, Aug. 30 | 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. – Lee Roy Selmon Banking Center, 2206 E. Fowler Ave., Tampa
Join us and enjoy a special Royal Caribbean presentation featuring the latest offers on their amazingly innovative ships and exciting itineraries to some of the most breathtaking places in the world. Discover how you can get the best value on your Royal Caribbean cruise when you book a AAA Vacations® sailing. Destination WOW. Ask me about the latest promotions.
Non members also welcomed to attend, call me to join, ***Free event >>> Registration is required to attend contact Detria Carson 813 289 5800 ext 6542
New Hires & Promotions
Mario Camacho Foods, a specialty food sales and distribution company, is pleased to announce their new leadership team. President Shawn Kaddoura joined the team in January, and Tracey Schram was welcomed as their new SVP of Business Development in July. Both join the company after twenty years of proven senior level experience in the CPG industry.
David Stone, President & CEO of NorthStar Bank, recently announced the appointment of Robert Shaw as Market President for Belleair Bluffs and the Pinellas County market. Mr. Shaw has over 17 years of commercial banking experience in Tampa Bay and comes to NorthStar Bank from USAmeriBank where he was most recently Senior Vice President of Commercial Banking. Prior to USAmeriBank, Mr. Shaw served as the Clearwater Regional Executive for Signature Bank.
Mr. Shaw is a West Point graduate, receiving his Bachelor of Applied Science in Engineering Physics and MBA from the University of Phoenix. Rob will be a part of the Executive Management team and play an instrumental role in the overall growth of our bank. He will oversee the Belleair office and future growth plans for the entire Pinellas market. Rob is active in the community and currently involved in Tampa Bay Ride to Defeat ALS.
GrayRobinson, P.A., recently announced that Robert “Bob” Schumaker and Lauri Slater will join the firm’s Tampa Real Estate Practice Group. Schumaker joins the firm with more than 30 years of experience in the industry. Slater brings more than 25 years of paralegal experience in real estate law. Both come to GrayRobinson from Trenam Kemker, where their practices focused on commercial real estate, land use law, lending transactions and environmental law.
Schumaker has extensive experience structuring and drafting complex documentation for purchase and sale agreements, as well as asset-based lending transactions. He also structures and drafts workouts of defaulted loans in connection to bankruptcy, foreclosure and other litigation. Schumaker has represented numerous developers and owners in the Tampa Bay area, and throughout Florida, in the acquisition, sale, assemblage, documentation and negotiation of their property. Schumaker received his Bachelor’s degree from Stetson University, his MBA with honors from Florida International University and later received his law degree with honors from the Stetson University College of Law.
Slater is a Florida registered paralegal with over 25 years of experience focusing on commercial real estate and lending transactions. She has managed various types of acquisitions, mergers, financing and refinancing. During the recession, Slater assisted clients on numerous commercial workouts and friendly foreclosures. Slater has also represented lenders, developers and borrowers for a variety of clients.
Hill Ward Henderson is pleased to announce the following:
Hill Ward Henderson received many rankings and citations for its attorneys and practice groups for the 13th consecutive year in the recently published Chambers USA by the internationally acclaimed research group Chambers & Partners, based in London. Four practice areas of the firm were highlighted and ranked in the publication for excellence in service – Corporate M&A and Private Equity; General Commercial Litigation, Taxation and Real Estate.
In addition, 11 attorneys at the firm were cited as “leaders” in their respective practice areas being ranked by Chambers USA:
- D. Armstrong, III – Real Estate: Zoning / Land Use
- John C. Connery, Jr. – Tax
- David S. Felman – Corporate M&A and Private Equity
- Katherine Frazier – Real Estate
- Thomas N. Henderson, III – Real Estate
- Benjamin H. Hill, III – General Commercial Litigation
- David T. Knight – General Commercial Litigation
- James Robbins, Jr. – Real Estate
- Brian Sparks – Tax: Estate Planning
- Dennis P. Waggoner – General Commercial Litigation
- Alton C. Ward – Tax: Employee Benefits
Robert A. Shimberg, a Shareholder in Hill Ward Henderson’s Litigation Group, was recently elected Chair of the Board of Directors for Metropolitan Ministries, Inc. Mr. Shimberg’s primary practice areas include commercial litigation, corporate compliance and governmental relations. He was formerly a prosecutor with the Hillsborough County State Attorney’s Office. In addition to serving as Chair of Metropolitan Ministries, he is active in many additional community concerns, including Tampa Housing Authority and MoreHealth, a health education and safety program for children.
Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney | Fowler White Boggs is proud to announce the following:
Counsel Richard G. Salazar was selected to the Greater Tampa Chamber of Commerce’s Leadership Tampa Class of 2015.
Salazar’s law practice includes litigation and counseling in antitrust, business tort, non-competition covenant, trademark/service mark infringement, copyright infringement, trade secret and unfair competition claims in federal and state courts. He earned his law degree from the University of Florida Levin College of Law and his Bachelor of Science from the University of Florida.
Twenty-four attorneys from the firm’s Tampa offices were selected by their peers for inclusion to The Best Lawyers in America® 2015 list. The following attorneys were selected in their respective practice areas:
- Cathy J. Beveridge – Employment Law – Management; Litigation – Labor and Employment
- Jackson Boggs – Tax Law; Trusts and Estates
- Heather B. Brock – Employment Law – Management; Labor Law – Management; Litigation – Labor and Employment
- John D. Emmanuel – Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law; Litigation – Bankruptcy
- Darren D. Farfante – Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law; Commercial Litigation
- William J. Flynn III – Immigration Law
- Calvin Hayes – Commercial Litigation
- Mitchell I. Horowitz – Litigation and Controversy – Tax; Tax Law
- Richard A. Jacobson – International Trade and Finance Law
- Rhea F. Law – Administrative/Regulatory Law; Environmental Law; Government Relations Practice; Land Use and Zoning Law; Municipal Law; Real Estate Law
- Conrad J. Lazo – Construction Law; Litigation – Construction
- Monica B. Mason – Copyright Law; Trademark Law
- Carl R. Nelson – Admiralty and Maritime Law; Commercial Litigation
- Ronald H. Noble – Environmental Law
- Robert L. Olsen – Commercial Litigation
- Paul R. Pizzo – Commercial Litigation; Litigation – Trusts and Estates
- Richard G. Salazar – Copyright Law; Litigation – Intellectual Property; Litigation – Labor and Employment; Litigation – Patent; Trademark Law
- Hala A. Sandridge – Appellate Practice
- Jeffrey C. Shannon – Real Estate Law
- David C. Shobe – Administrative/Regulatory Law; Corporate Law; Mergers and Acquisitions Law; Securities/Capital Markets Law
- Ted R. Tamargo – Real Estate Law
- Dale W. Vash – Construction Law; Litigation – Construction
- Edward M. Waller, Jr. – Commercial Litigation; Health Care Law; Litigation – Bankruptcy
- Andrea E. Zelman – Land Use and Zoning Law; Litigation – Land Use and Zoning
The Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay is pleased to announce that Paul Joseph, General Manager, received the Jay A. Pritzker Award for Leadership which recognizes Hyatt General Managers who have consistently demonstrated their ability as leaders, coaches and mentors. These leaders are high achievers, lead top performing hotels, and serve as role models of Hyatt’s values: mutual respect, intellectual honesty and integrity, fun, humility, creativity and innovation. The individuals were evaluated based on achievement of hotel and individual goals over time and a consistent demonstration of Hyatt leadership.
GrayRobinson, P.A., is pleased to announce that 64 attorneys made the 2015 Best Lawyers in America list of outstanding attorneys, including 11 attorneys in the Tampa office:
- Richard M. Blau, Food and Beverage Law (2011)
- Debra Deardourff Faulk, Litigation – Intellectual Property
- Frank N. Fleischer, Public Finance Law (2003)
- Jeanette M. Flores, Real Estate Law (2008)
- Stephen L. Kussner, Real Estate Law (2003)
- Michael J. Nolan II, Trusts and Estates (2008)
- Woodrow H. “Woody” Pollack, Litigation – Intellectual Property, Litigation – Patent, Trademark Law (2014)*
- Frederick S. Schrils, Commercial Litigation
- George E. Spofford IV, Litigation – Construction (2010)
- Stefan V. Stein, Copyright Law, Litigation – Intellectual Property, Litigation – Patent, Patent Law, Trademark Law (1995)*
- John I. Van Voris, Corporate Law (1999)
In addition, six attorneys were named Lawyer of the Year in their respective practice areas, including two in the Tampa office:
- Woodrow H. “Woody” Pollack, Best Lawyers’ 2015 Tampa Trademark Law Lawyer of the Year
- Stefan V. Stein, Best Lawyers’ 2015 Tampa Copyright Law Lawyer of the Year
Fisher & Phillips LLP is proud to announce that Christine Howard, Steve Bernstein and Theresa Gallion have been selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2015® The partners in the Tampa office were honored for their labor and employment work.
Christine Howard is managing partner in the Tampa office. Practicing labor and employment law for more than 20 years, she focuses on defending employment discrimination, harassment, leave and disability, and wage and hour complaints.
For more than 20 years, Steve Bernstein has maintained a traditional labor practice, representing employers throughout the United States. In addition, he advises clients on union-related matters and compliance with the NLRA, the WARN Act, USERRA, FMLA and the ADA.
Theresa Gallion has more than 30 years of practice as a labor and employment attorney, representing clients in a wide variety of industries, with particular emphasis on hospitality, healthcare, education, retail and telecommunications.